The Commission consists of seven members appointed by the Mayor. These appointees are qualified and experienced affordable housing professionals and advocates. Current members of the commission are [Election of Officers 2011-2012] (.pdf):
- William S. Epps, President
- Pete Navarro, Vice President
- Alice W. Harris
- Alice Salinas
- Stephanie Klasky-Gamer
- Martin V. Lee
- Shashi K. Hanuman
The Affordable Housing Commission was established to serve as an advisory body to the Mayor, the City Council, and the General Manager of the Los Angeles Housing Department (LAHD) on housing matters, including rent stabilization. The Commission is charged with these specific tasks:
- Advise the Mayor and the City Council with respect to the City's housing needs;
- Recommend to the Mayor and the City Council a City housing policy and specific goals to meet the City's Housing needs;
- Coordinate the City's various housing programs;
- Annually review the housing plans and budgets of City agencies and departments to ensure conformance with City housing policy;
- Evaluate proposed policy and legislation for their impact on the preservation and production of housing and recommend to the Mayor and the City Council modifications that are necessary to achieve the City's housing goals;
- Collaborate with City agencies and departments in the initiation of policies and programs that favorably impact housing development; and
- Encourage public and private partnerships in promoting housing preservation and production.
The regular Commission meetings are scheduled for the second and fourth Thursday of every month at Noon in Room 912, 9th Floor of the Los Angeles Housing Department (LAHD), 1200 W. Seventh Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017.
Meeting agendas are generally finalized one week in advance. The agendas are posted on the LAHD website, City website and at City Hall. For more information, please contact Mirna Urbina at (213) 928-9073 or via e-mail at email@example.com .